Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Hotel California - Indian Version

On a dark crowded highway
    brylcreem in my hair
    warm smell of parathas
    rising up through the air

    up ahead in the distance
    I saw a shimmering light
    my eyes grew dim and my head grew light
    I had to stop for the night

    there they stood in the doorway
    they were desis you could tell
    I got out fearfully
    saying this will surely be hell

    all around us were buildings
    Sun, SGI and Dell
    I slowly unloaded my things
    In the shadows of Intel

    and still those parking lots were full of Hondas
    waiting up in the middle of the night
    to be driven home by programers

    welcome to the town of Sunnyvale
    such a desi place, such a crazy place
    we're livin' it up in the town of Sunnyvale
  such a nice surprise, so many people with no lives

    my heartstrings were twisted
    I wanted to feel at home
    where thousands of desis existed
    and no white man dared roam

    sambar stains on the ceilings
    mango lassis on ice
    sit and watch the paint peeling
    or make daal and boil rice

    but my mind revolted
    at the very thought
    I grabbed my bag and bolted
    I'd escape no matter what

    and still those voices are calling from far away
    wake you up in the middle of the night
    I can hear them say

    welcome to the town of Sunnyvale
    such a desi place, such a crazy place
    we're livin' it up in the town of Sunnyvale
    such a nice surprise, so many people with no lives

    I wake up in a cold sweat thank god it was a dream,
    there is no need to fret.
    I still live in the Marin.
    Oh, I still live in Marin.

Technorati Tags : ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home